When I was growing up pork and beans was a can of Bush’s baked beans with a hot dog cut up in it. This one dish dinner, inspired by my lunch at Acme Feed & Seed in Nashville, is light years away from my mama’s pork and beans.
Leftover pulled pork *see notes below on my go to recipe!
Can of white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Box of corn muffins
Jalapeno, seeded and diced
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1. Prepare corn muffin according to package directions. Add chopped jalapeño to batter before baking
2. Saute onion and garlic over medium heat until soft and translucent.
3. Add white kidney beans to hot pan. Cook with garlic and onion for additional 5 minutes.
4. Remove garlic, onion, and beans from pan. Keep warm.
5. Fry up that egg (Sounds weird but TRUST me!!)
6. Reheat pulled pork
7. Pile plate with beans, pork, egg, BBQ sauce and top with egg.
8. Admire the beauty of the plate and then mix it all up!
What I love about this type of meal is it’s a great use of leftovers. This is my go to recipe for pulled pork from 100 Days of Real Food.
Be careful when shopping for BBQ sauce- they are a hiding spot for sugar. Try this recipe to make your own!
Switch out while kidney beans for pinto beans, navy beans, butter beans. Go bean crazy!
I did make some muffins without jalapeños for my kids
Try it out and let me know what you think!!!